- Retailers of all stripes are converging on a similar sales strategy, where inventory and customer data are shared between online and offline channels.
- This “omnichannel” strategy helps retailers distribute inventory and advertise more efficiently—so they can sell more goods and have less excess stock to discount. It also benefits shoppers, who can buy items online and return them in a store, or buy in a store and return via mail.
- The integration of online and offline shopping is also taking place within physical stores. Adopting an approach some observers have dubbed “New Retail,” some brick-and-mortar retailers are now offering mobile apps and digital displays to enhance the in-store shopping experience. Product videos, reviews, real-time item locators, and augmented reality tools allow customers to interact with products in the physical and virtual worlds simultaneously.
- Implementing these changes is complex, costly, and takes time. Home Depot, Alibaba, Sephora, and other retailers that have embraced these strategies early should be able to maintain their leads over rivals that have yet to do so, at least in the short term.
- Companies providing the needed back-end software solutions, such as SAP and Salesforce.com, could see increased sales from retailers as these strategies become more widespread.
The “Fundamental Thinking” series presents the perspectives of Harding Loevner’s analysts on a range of investment topics, highlighting our fundamental research and providing insight into how we approach quality growth investing. For more detailed information regarding particular investment strategies, please visit our website, www.hardingloevner.com. Any statements made by employees of Harding Loevner are solely their own and do not necessarily express or relate to the views or opinions of Harding Loevner.
Any discussion of specific securities is not a recommendation to purchase or sell a particular security. Non-performance based criteria have been used to select the securities identified. It should not be assumed that investment in the securities identified has been or will be profitable. To request a complete list of holdings for the past year, please contact Harding Loevner.
There is no guarantee that any investment strategy will meet its objective. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
© 2022 Harding Loevner