- Since their invention in 1960, lasers have become a powerful force of disruption across industries, including retail (barcode scanners), consumer electronics (CD drives, laser printers), and manufacturing (laser drills, cutters, welders).
- Recent breakthroughs that greatly enhance the power and precision of lasers have accelerated their adoption by manufacturers, leading to the displacement of older equipment such as mechanical cutters and drills, arc welders, and chemical etchers.
- Heavy industries such as auto, aerospace, and energy are replacing older tools, including CO2 laser technology, with more powerful fiber lasers that can cut and weld thick metal with greater speed and precision.
- Demand for laser equipment is also increasing as the components of consumer and industrial devices shrink. For example, high-end smartphone manufacturers now rely on laser tools to differentiate the “look and feel” and feature sets of their products. Low-end manufacturers will likely face pressure to incorporate laser technology into their production lines to keep up with customer expectations.
- Laser companies such as Han’s Laser, IPG Photonics, and Coherent are in a strong competitive position as they have developed specialized knowledge through heavy R&D investment, creating high barriers to entry for would-be competitors.
The “Fundamental Thinking” series presents the perspectives of Harding Loevner’s analysts on a range of investment topics, highlighting our fundamental research and providing insight into how we approach quality growth investing. For more detailed information regarding particular investment strategies, please visit our website, www.hardingloevner.com. Any statements made by employees of Harding Loevner are solely their own and do not necessarily express or relate to the views or opinions of Harding Loevner.
Any discussion of specific securities is not a recommendation to purchase or sell a particular security. Non-performance based criteria have been used to select the securities identified. It should not be assumed that investment in the securities identified has been or will be profitable. To request a complete list of holdings for the past year, please contact Harding Loevner.
There is no guarantee that any investment strategy will meet its objective. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
© 2022 Harding Loevner